Soccer: U.S. player Holden joins Bolton until end of season
BOLTON, England — U.S. midfielder Stuart Holden joined the Premier League club Bolton on Tuesday until the end of the season.
The Scottish-born player's contract with the Houston Dynamo has expired following four seasons in Major League Soccer. He is joining Bolton on a free transfer after an impressive trial earlier this month.
The 24-year-old Holden is set to play at the World Cup in South Africa in June. He has scored twice in 12 international appearances.
"This was the hardest decision I've had to make in my career, but at the end of the day I felt it was the right time to test myself at the highest level," Holden said. "Having had a short spell over here when I was younger, I knew all about the passion for football in this country and that helped to draw me back."
"The Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world and I was really excited when this opportunity came up. Now I am looking forward to getting involved and getting started."
Bolton is trying to avoid relegation and is currently among the three teams that would be demoted.
"Stuart has been training with us and he has done well," Bolton manager Owen Coyle said. "He has a great energy and desire, and he wants to show that he can play in the best league in the world, so he is a young man with a point to prove."