Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Suspect's elder kin shocked by arrest

By David Waite
Advertiser Staff Writer

The great-grandmother of one of the suspects arrested in connection with a home invasion robbery in Pālolo said yesterday that she was shocked to learn of her great-grandson's possible involvement.

Justin Lono, 28, of a Tantalus Drive address, was arrested at 11:20 a.m. Sunday morning, along with Jordan K. Artuyo, 18, of no local address.

Lono's great-grandmother, Adella Lono, described Lono yesterday as a "generally good person," but one who dropped out of high school and who has had difficulty hanging on to a job.

"I couldn't believe it when I heard he had been arrested," Adella said.

Justin and Artuyo were each arrested for investigation of one count of first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and six counts of kidnapping.

Police continued to look for two other suspects yesterday.

The invasion took place shortly before 4 a.m. Sunday, with four men wielding sawed-off shotguns, handguns and knives entering the home on the 2000 block of 10th Avenue.

The men tied up seven college-age occupants of the home and demanded drugs and money, police said. They fled with cash, cell phones and a laptop computer.

The residents of the home, described by neighbors as a "party house," are unrelated. Four suffered minor injuries, including lacerations and knife puncture wounds. They were taken to a hospital by friends and were released Sunday.

Police said the occupants of the house did not know the suspects.

A massive search from the air and on the ground was launched, with Specialized Services Division officers and canine units.

Lono was found hiding behind rocks on the hillside behind the home, while Artuyo turned himself in to police at the scene and was arrested at 6:05 a.m.

Adella said her great-grandson had never been in trouble until his arrest Sunday and court records show no felony convictions for him or Artuyo.

"I really don't know what happened," Adella said. "They allowed him to make one phone call and he called his girlfriend."

Adella raised Justin virtually all of his life after his parents divorced when he was just an infant, and formally adopted him when he was 5 years old.

Adella said she did not recognize the name Jordan Artuyo, but said she suspects it "might be one of the boys (Justin) knows and hangs around with at the park down the street from our house in Papakōlea."

Adella said Justin was supposed to start a new job this week.

"But with this problem, I don't think that's going to happen," she said.

Her great-grandson had worked at several menial, short-time jobs, but was never steadily employed.

He dropped out after completing the 11th grade at Roosevelt High School, she said.

"He was spending a lot of time lately talking to people late at night on the street in front of our house," Adella said. "That's how young people get in trouble, you know."