Sponsored by:

Comment, blog & share photos

Log in | Become a member
The Honolulu Advertiser
Posted on: Monday, May 24, 2010

Armed men invade home

By Mary Vorsino
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawaii news photo - The Honolulu Advertiser

Police officers place a suspect in the back of a patrol car. Two of four suspects remain at large from yesterday's home invasion in Pālolo.

MARY VORSINO | The Honolulu Advertiser

spacer spacer

Four men wielding sawed-off shotguns, handguns and knives invaded a Pālolo home early yesterday and then fled, sparking a police search from the air and on the ground with Specialized Services Division officers and canine units.

Two of the suspects remained at large last night.

The men barged into the home on the 2000 block of 10th Avenue about 3:50 a.m., tied up its seven, college-age occupants and demanded drugs and money, police said. They fled with cash, cell phones and a laptop computer.

The residents of the home are unrelated. Four suffered minor injuries, including lacerations and knife puncture wounds. They were taken to a hospital by friends and were released yesterday.

Police said the occupants of the house did not know the suspects.

Specialized Services Division officers in body armor searched the hillside behind the home and found one suspect hiding behind rocks.

A second suspect turned himself in to police at the scene.

Honolulu police Detective Tasman McKee said it appears the house was chosen at random. McKee said he could not say whether there have been problems at the home before.

Residents of the house said the attack has them worried, and some said they planned to move out.

They also said they did not know the suspects, who wore bandanas to hide their faces.

"I've never experienced anything like this," said one resident, a man in his 20s who asked not to be identified.

He said most of the occupants of the home are college students.

Police had not recovered any weapons, which included at least two shotguns, two handguns and knives.

The home invasion and subsequent search for the suspects created a spectacle in Pālolo.

A police helicopter woke up many neighborhood residents around 5 a.m. as it flew over roofs.

At 10 a.m., the helicopter was still hovering overhead as Specialized Services Division officers roamed the streets and residents watched from carports and lawns.

Huey Say, 49, grew up in Pālolo and could not remember such an attack on the street.

"This neighborhood has always been a peaceful neighborhood," he said, adding that he didn't think there was much he can do to protect his home from such attacks.

"You can't do much," he said.

Ester Leon Guerrero, 23, lives with her boyfriend across the street from the house that was attacked. Although the neighborhood has its share of crime, Guerrero has always considered it safe.

She certainly never imagined suspects loose on her street with handguns and shotguns.

"That's really scary," she said.